turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cynco1949

If I am retired and make cash can I file without w2?

I have 4 kids I support, I own my house. would I get earned income credit? Can I go back and file for the last 5 yrs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can file if you have cash income...from Self-employment work 

However,  for Earned Income Credit  (EIC or EITC), you have to show a profit for "working" for cash.  Retirement income, investments, interest, and SS doesn't count. 

It actually has to be either a W-2.......or, apparently in your case, cash from self-employment work that is carefully recorded as to when & why cash was received vs business expenses.

Whether there is any EIC to be obtained...that depends entirely on the exact details of how much total income that you have from any source.

Read this carefully:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/do-i-qualify-for-earned-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, you can file if you have cash income...from Self-employment work 

However,  for Earned Income Credit  (EIC or EITC), you have to show a profit for "working" for cash.  Retirement income, investments, interest, and SS doesn't count. 

It actually has to be either a W-2.......or, apparently in your case, cash from self-employment work that is carefully recorded as to when & why cash was received vs business expenses.

Whether there is any EIC to be obtained...that depends entirely on the exact details of how much total income that you have from any source.

Read this carefully:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/do-i-qualify-for-earned-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

and note that you are required to claim all of your self-employment expenses.

Can I go back and file for the last 5 yrs?

Do you have adequate records of all that cash income an related expenses?  It is too late to file now for a Federal refund for any tax years prior to 2014. Only 2017 can be done online and efiled. For the others, see:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies