Solved: If I am over 59 1/2 and withdrew $60,000 last year from my IRA to use as a down payment for our home purchase we are first time home buyers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

If I am over 59 1/2 and withdrew $60,000 last year from my IRA to use as a down payment for our home purchase we are first time home buyers

the IRA is with Morgan Stanley
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

If I am over 59 1/2 and withdrew $60,000 last year from my IRA to use as a down payment for our home purchase we are first time home buyers

The only tax break you get for using an IRA withdrawal for a first time home purchase is an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty on up to $10,000. Since you were already 59 1/2 when you took the withdrawal, you are not subject to the penalty anyway.

You must enter the 1099-R for the withdrawal on your tax return and pay ordinary income tax on the taxable amount of the withdrawal. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 15

The only tax break you get for using an IRA withdrawal for a first time home purchase is an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty on up to $10,000. Since you were already 59 1/2 when you took the withdrawal, you are not subject to the penalty anyway.

You must enter the 1099-R for the withdrawal on your tax return and pay ordinary income tax on the taxable amount of the withdrawal. 

View solution in original post

Privacy Settings