turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I won't get an SSA 1099

Social Security says they don't send an SSA 1099 for people who get SSI (here: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3706/how-can-i-get-a-form-ssa-1099-1042s-social-...). What am I supposed to do with that section, then?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I won't get an SSA 1099

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is welfare and is not taxable. It is not entered anywhere on your tax return.  It is not the same as social security benefits (either retirement or disability) which is reported on an SSA-1099 and is potentially taxable. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I won't get an SSA 1099

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is welfare and is not taxable. It is not entered anywhere on your tax return.  It is not the same as social security benefits (either retirement or disability) which is reported on an SSA-1099 and is potentially taxable. 

I won't get an SSA 1099

You can, however, record it as nontaxable income in the Sales Tax deduction section if you itemize.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I won't get an SSA 1099

I meant that I get both SSD and SSI, but the TT expert I talked to said, "Don't worry about it--just don't list it."

If they want to audit a disabled person, that's fine with me--Medicare is footing my therapy bills anyway!

I won't get an SSA 1099

You should get a SSA-1099 for the SSDI.  But if SSDI and ssi is the only income you get you do not have to file a return.  Are you married?
Hal_Al
Level 15

I won't get an SSA 1099

If the SSD, reported on an SSA-1099 is your only income, it does not need to be reported. Social security only becomes  taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.
Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies