Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I won money/trips on a game show and am not sure how it's going to be taxed. Never happened to me before.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I won money/trips on a game show and am not sure how it's going to be taxed. Never happened to me before.

The game show will send you a 1099-MISC.  The 1099-MISC would be entered under "Other Income"  On the main screen, under Federal Taxes, select Wages & Income.  On the next screen you can click "I'll Choose What I work on"

That will take you to the Income Summary screen.  Scroll down and look for "1099-MISC and Other Common Income".  Your prize money should be entered there.  Note that the trip value may be overinflated.

You may wish to make estimated tax payments.

Thank you so much for the information!! My main concern was whether they would be taking the amount for the taxes right away, or if they wait until we file our taxes, and then it gets taken out after we enter it in as "other income".  Would "prefer" to have it taken out with our tax return and not right away.

Ask the game show what they will do. However, note that you could be penalized for underpayment of estimated taxes if you wait until tax time,.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes">https://www.irs.gov/b...>

Most game shows are based in California, and thus the check that arrives often represents the total minus California state taxes.

Yes ... review the paperwork you had to sign when you agreed to complete on the show ... all the tax implications would have been spelled out on that and the W-9 form you probably had to sign either when you got on the show or before they released the winnings.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies