turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

work4sue1

I was evaled 4 dble lung transplant by Mayo 4-5 hrs from home,I was in hotel min from hosp .Between visits I drove home,how do i figure milege and housing for medical

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was evaled 4 dble lung transplant by Mayo 4-5 hrs from home,I was in hotel min from hosp .Between visits I drove home,how do i figure milege and housing for medical

You can deduct mileage you drove to receive medical care.  If you did not keep track of your odometer, you can probably estimate from a mapping app or web site.  Make a written record of the date, purpose and mileage of each trip and keep it with your tax papers.  

You can also deduct your actual lodging expenses, if the trip was for medical purposes.  Use your actual hotel bills.  

These expenses are all entered as medical expenses on the deductions and credits page and are subject to the 10% or 7.5% limitation   

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can deduct mileage you drove to receive medical care.  If you did not keep track of your odometer, you can probably estimate from a mapping app or web site.  Make a written record of the date, purpose and mileage of each trip and keep it with your tax papers.  

You can also deduct your actual lodging expenses, if the trip was for medical purposes.  Use your actual hotel bills.  

These expenses are all entered as medical expenses on the deductions and credits page and are subject to the 10% or 7.5% limitation   

Hal_Al
Level 15

This is a $50 per night limit on the deductibility of lodging for medical purposes.
Reference: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.accountingweb.com/tax/individuals/medical-care-deductions-for-meals-and-lodgings-what-yo...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies