Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I understand that 12-w includes both employee and employer contributions. It is supposed to be tax-free, why adding these contributions affect my tax?

what is the point putting money pre-tax will finally increase your tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I understand that 12-w includes both employee and employer contributions. It is supposed to be tax-free, why adding these contributions affect my tax?

You need to finish accounting for it. In order for HSA contributions to remain without any tax consequences, Form 8889 must be completed on your tax return. On Form 8889, you describe your coverage in a High Deductible Health Plan, including who is covered and when. HSA contributions are not pretax or without tax consequences until Form 8889 says they are.

Please see this LINK for more information.

To get to Form 8889:

• Federal
  • Deductions & Credits
  • Medical
  • HSA, MSA Contributions

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You need to finish accounting for it. In order for HSA contributions to remain without any tax consequences, Form 8889 must be completed on your tax return. On Form 8889, you describe your coverage in a High Deductible Health Plan, including who is covered and when. HSA contributions are not pretax or without tax consequences until Form 8889 says they are.

Please see this LINK for more information.

To get to Form 8889:

• Federal
  • Deductions & Credits
  • Medical
  • HSA, MSA Contributions

thanks!

it was the trick

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies