Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

67susanmak
Returning Member

I took a with drawl from my IRA to pay off my home , box 7 with code 7 states its a normal with draw , so why am i getting a penalty ? I was over age 59 and half .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I took a with drawl from my IRA to pay off my home , box 7 with code 7 states its a normal with draw , so why am i getting a penalty ? I was over age 59 and half .

If you are aged over 59 1/2 at the time of withdrawal, you shouldn't have to pay the penalty for early withdrawal.

Please revisit the My Info section in TurboTax Online and verify that you have correctly entered your date of birth.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
67susanmak
Returning Member

everything is correct for personal information, I was 59 years 7months and 2 week of age, granted i was close to cut off ,but older than 59 !/2 !

After you completing entry of the Form 1099-R the program would have taken you to a screen where you could have entered an exception to the early distribution penalty (Form 5329).  Where you should have entered the amount of the distribution in the box labeled Incorrect Early Distributions.  This would have removed the penalty.

Go back and on the Form 1099-R Entries screen, edit the Form 1099-R.  Follow the interview until you get to the screen labeled These Situations May Lower Your Tax Bill

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Revisit the entry of your Form 1099-R. 

Because you reach age 59 1/2 during the tax year, after the entry of Form 1099-R, TurboTax will ask Let's check ... did you withdraw this retirement early? (see screenshot attached), to which you should answer NO.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are you married?  Is your spouse younger?  Be sure you entered the 1099R under the right person.  

dmertz
Level 15

Perhaps you are seeing a penalty for underpayment of taxes, not an early-distribution penalty.  TurboTax doesn't treat code 7 as being subject to an early-distribution penalty.

I am over 59 1/2. I closed four IRA'S (after taking required RMD's). Where do I report this on TurboTax? I've searched all over and can't find a reporting location.

67susanmak
Returning Member

I got it ,thanks !

67susanmak
Returning Member

Thanks,  I figured it out. 

@67susanmak   What was it?  It may help someone else.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies