turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abedosky1

Can I e-file if my 401K contributions are over $18,500?

I switched jobs during the year and over-contributed to Roth 401K. The sum of both jobs' W2s for 401K is $18,514 (i.e. $14 excess). I withdrew the excess and completed a 1099R (code PJ), but did not change the W2 figures. Now I am getting ready to file, and TurboTax will not let me e-file.. it says "Roth Contributions of $18,514 is more than the allowed $18,500 for a 401K plan. Please check your entries on your W2 for 401k plans." Is there a way I can e-file?? Am I supposed to change my W2 figures since I withdrew the excess? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
caseyrut

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file

This link has the steps and at the very bottom, it says “Solution: Unfortunately at this time, customer with an excess contribution will need to print and mail, despite following the Steps to Take to Remove an Excess Salary Deferral as listed above.” You do not change the W2, so will just have to file by mail.

caseyrut

I saw an update on this issue.“TurboTax is aware of the e-filing issue that you are having and is currently working on a solution. An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  
Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.”

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....>

This issue is scheduled to be fixed in an update that is currently planned to be released on 4/5/2019.
Please click here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.
johngrage

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:jkgrage@comcast.net">jkgrage@comcast.net</a>
abedosky1

just tried it and still not fixed ; is the update not out yet, or did it just not correct the issue?
johngrage

got an email saying they were not going to fix it!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies