Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vapcat123

I retired recently. A health insurance premium is deducted from my monthly pension check. I didn't enter that amount any where on my tax form. Did I miss something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I retired recently. A health insurance premium is deducted from my monthly pension check. I didn't enter that amount any where on my tax form. Did I miss something?

There is no place on the 1099-R where payments for health insurance are recorded, so no, you didn't miss anything.

That doesn't mean you can't take a deduction for your payments.

If your pension trustee sent you a statement summarizing your payments for insurance, use that number. Otherwise, you may calculate what you paid and enter it on Schedule A under Deductions & Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses.

Can I reduce my taxable income by the amount of the premiums or am I only allowed to deduct it on Schedule A? Due to the cap on state and local taxes, I am limited to the standard deduction so I would lose the tax benefit of the premiums. 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Health Insurance premiums are deductible if you are able to itemize on your return.  In order to itemize, you will listed your itemized deduction on the schedule A of your return.  Many find that it is more beneficial to claim the standard deduction as the standard deduction allowed is greater than their itemized deductions claimed.  

In order to claim medical expenses as an itemized deduction, the medical and dental expenses must exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  To enter medical expenses in TurboTax, you will follow these steps:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll Down to Medical, Click Show More
  3. Click Start next to Medical Expenses

TurboTax will notify you, if your itemized deduction would be more beneficial to claim over the standard deduction.  

@dbsjps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. it's not the answer I wanted but I get it. Just wanted second opinions to make sure I wasn't getting stiffed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies