marcieanne

I retired in August of 2016 with 100% disability at the age of 58. My employer retirement age is 55. Is the retirement income on the 1099-r taxable?

When I enter the info and indicate that I am disabled (box 7 with the #3) my return drops by hundreds. If it isn't taxable should it drop my return and if so, is this due to it putting me in a higher tax bracket?

CherylW

If it says code 3 (disability) in box 7 of your 1099-R, then it is not taxable and Turbo Tax treats it as such.  It's still reportable, but not taxable.

marcieanne

When I enter the gross distribution and mark that I am disabled (box 7 with the #3 in it) my return drops by $600. Is this because while the money isn't taxable it puts me in a higher tax bracket?
CherylW

dmertz

It's taxable, it's just not subject to penalty.