Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slh8859

I recieved 3 1099-c forms for my deceased mom, do i need to file taxes for her this year becausr of this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PhyllisG

I recieved 3 1099-c forms for my deceased mom, do i need to file taxes for her this year becausr of this?

The IRS requires the decedent's estate to pay taxes on the amount of the canceled debt reported with 1099-C; therefore, creditors must provide the Form 1099-C to the debtor.

You can prepare your Mom's final return using TurboTax Online.  However, you will have to open a separate account because the online version is for one return per person.

Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of your Mother's death. You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

The Internal Revenue Service does allow the e-filing of a decedent tax return; however, each State is different.  TurboTax will inform you if you need to paper file the State tax return.

I opened an account, as you suggested, but Turbo Tax doesn't seem to understand it is for a deceased person. 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Go back to the personal information tab and choose Edit next to her name.   The last question on that first page is a YES or NO response to "I'm preparing this return for XXXX (name), who has passed away. "  You need to select YES to that question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! I figured it out, and have finished the return! yay!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies