I received roth ira distribution. 1099r shows it c...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klamerus2

I received roth ira distribution. 1099r shows it code J but it is qualified because it as all contribution, not earnings. Turbo tax is taxing it. How do I fix this?

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Employee Tax Expert

I received roth ira distribution. 1099r shows it code J but it is qualified because it as all contribution, not earnings. Turbo tax is taxing it. How do I fix this?

Code J:

Early distribution from a Roth IRA

Use Code J for a distribution from a Roth IRA when Code Q or Code T does not apply. 

Code J indicates that there was an early distribution from a ROTH IRA. The amount may or may not be taxable depending on the amount distributed and the taxpayer's basis in ROTH IRA Contributions. This information must be entered for the software to calculate the taxable amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

To reach the question in TurboTax that asks for your basis in Roth IRA contributions, click the Continue button on the page that lists the Form 1099-R that you've entered.

Also, this is an early distribution, not a qualified distribution, requiring Form 8606 Part III to be included with your tax return to show the calculation of the taxable amount (which will be zero if the distribution was less than your contribution basis).  TurboTax will automatically prepare Form 8606.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings