gortokj

I received and extraordinary dividend from my credit union but it was reported in a letter, not a 1099-DIV or 1099-INT. Is this taxable?

AnnetteB6

Without knowing exactly what the extraordinary dividend represents, it is hard to say whether or not it is taxable.  

If it was income to you paid as a 'bonus' for opening an account or something like that, it is taxable as interest income.  Report it in your return as if it had been included on Form 1099-INT.  

If it represented a refund of some sort, then it would not be taxable.

@gortokj

gortokj

Thank you AnnetteB6 for your response.  From the credit union letter: "Member's dividends were based on their individual savings interest earned and load interest paid during the first 11 months of 2019."  Sounds sort of like a refund to me.