Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a corrected SSA lump payment in 23 for 22 and a 2nd 1099. What values are added or entered on which screens? Please be specific

do I add box 5s from both 1099s when reporting income?  The lump sum was entirely received in 2023.  When reporting the lump do I report anything in earlier year benefits?  This is all catch up for my wife who passed in 2022
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I received a corrected SSA lump payment in 23 for 22 and a 2nd 1099. What values are added or entered on which screens? Please be specific

Yes, if you have multiple Forms SSA-1099 you combined the amounts and make a single entry.  You do not report anything in prior years.  The benefits are reported in the year received, regardless of the year they pertain to.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I sum the 2 SSA-1099 doc values on the first page?

If I sum the values together from above, what do I report on the lump sum pages on TurboTax?

Thanks for the quick response,

Rich

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You do sum the box 5 amounts and make one box 5 entry.

The Social Security lump sum payment process requires you to enter information from your previous years tax returns.  Then the tax that would have been due from one or more prior year tax returns is simply added to your 2023 tax return as an additional tax assessment.  

For instance, in 2023 you receive $20,000 in Social Security benefits, $5,000 for 2023 and $15,000 lump sum benefit for 2022.

You enter the information from your 2022 tax return.  The Social Security worksheets determine how much, if any, additional tax would have been owed.  This additional amount due is added to your 2023 tax return for payment.

If, in 2023, you had also received Social Security benefits assigned to 2020 and 2021, those years are computed in the same way and the additional tax that would have been owed is added to your 2023 tax return.

To report Social Security lump sum payments, follow these steps:

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Your income / Social Security.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right.
  • At the screen Did you receive any lump-sum payments?, answer Yes.

See also this TurboTax Help.

@rich.bolterstein 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies