turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iokitalu

I received a 1099-R. But didn’t withdrawal anything from my 401k

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

You may have received a 1099-R from a former employer. If you changed jobs and the balance was under a certain amount, some retirement plans will automatically close the retirement account. Another possibility is you may have taken a loan on your 401k, and if you changed jobs and the loan was still outstanding, some retirement plans will treat the loan as a distribution instead of giving you the option to continue making payments. 

Or, you may have moved your 401k from one retirement account to another. This action requires a 1099-R to be issued even though you did not withdraw any funds. If you did a "rollover" of your 401k, usually the Taxable Amount reported in Box 2a of the 1099-R will be 0. 

In order to determine the reason for the 1099-R, you will need to contact the retirement plan administrator that is listed on the form.

Since you received a 1099-R, you must report this on your tax return. You can enter this in TurboTax by clicking on Search in the top right corner and then typing in 1099-R in the search box. Then click on the "Jump to" link and enter your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need help, please:

1-I 'rolled over' a 401k into a traditional IRA, I do not see in turbo tax (tt) the option for the situation, tt does give an option for rolling over from a 401k to a Roth account.  How should I proceed to file this 1099-R?

2-Further into the tt questionnaire, under the 'Where is this distribution from?', it seems this form shouldn't apply to my case and 'none of the above' is the most accurate entry?

3-And finally, tt shows the rollover amount as a 'gross distribution', whereas it is actually a rollover.  Do I need to annotate somewhere else on the form that it is not a distribution?  TT just seems to leave me hanging in this case.

Thank you for any help you can give.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

When TurboTax asked you (after you entered the 1099-R) what did you do with the money from this distribution, you should have checked "I moved the money to another retirement account". That would tell TurboTax that it was a rollover and therefore not taxable.

Thank you for responding.  

I deleted the original 1099R and started over, but to no avail.  I do not get the question you mentioned - 

'When TurboTax asked you (after you entered the 1099-R) what did you do with the money from this distribution, you should have checked "I moved the money to another retirement account". That would tell TurboTax that it was a rollover and therefore not taxable.'

I have updated my tt software within the hour.  What am I missing?

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Once you enter your 1099-R and answer a few questions about the fourth screen in you should get this page. Picture shows page after indicating I moved the money to another retirement account.

mhcall

I am having the same issue and did not see the follow-up questions as shown. When I originally entered information from the 1099-R, I included the code "G" on the form that indicates it is a direct rollover, but the rollover amount still shows up later as retirement income. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Is it actually showing on your 1040 as taxable on Line 4b or d? That is the only place that counts. If you are seeing it as in the screen shot below, it is not reflecting the rollover.

In my case, the 1040 is correct.  The turbo tax program is confusing.

Thank you for the clarification.

I also am not getting the opportunity to say I rolled these funds over.  TurboTax keeps referring to this as Pension income. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you made a trustee to trustee rollover, you will still get a 1099R. If the Box 7 code of the 1099R signifies it is a rollover, then there is no need for you to designate it as one. 

You should check and see if the amount on the 1099R is coming through as taxable. You can check the Form 1040 to see. 

To pull up a copy of your 2019 Form 1040 and Schedules 1 to 3, follow these directions:

• You should be signed in and working in TurboTax
  • Click on Federal in the main left-hand side menu
  • Click Tax Tools, then Tools in the main left-hand side menu
  • In the pop-up window, click on View Tax Summary
  • The left-hand menu has now changed, click on View My 1040

You are looking for Box 4, b, c, and d of the Form 1040. If the 1099R was a rollover, the amount in Box 1 of the 1099R should not be transferred to the far-right column and it should say Rollover in the boxes to the left.

Thanks.  I use the offline version of TurboTax, so I went to View->Forms to see my 1040.  It does say rollover on the 1040 form, but placed this distribution on 4c for Pensions and annuities, but I guess that is the place it goes.  I find it odd that TurboTax refers to this as Pension non-taxable income, when I rolled over my 401K to a Traditional IRA at another institution.  The terminology is throwing me off a bit...

I didnt change jobs. I've been with the same company for 8yrs. Why did i receive a 1099-r from aome company called forge trust that I've never heard of? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you received a Form 1099-R and you have not taken any distributions or direct rollovers of any retirement accounts or IRA accounts, then you should contact the company shown on the Form 1099-R to request more information.  

Be sure that the Social Security number shown on the form is yours.  It is possible there was some sort of mix-up.

@Kelsey7763 

SaraLott

I received a 10-99 R for a previous job that I quit. I did not take out the money or roll it over. It's less than $20 and I didn't even know about it until now. What should i mark on turbotax for this situation?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies