I received a 1099-MISC for reimbursement of travel expenses. How does this get reported? Does Social Security tax need to be paid on this?

Reimbursement from whom?
-Your regular W-2 employer? If so, why was it don this way?
-a contract job?
-something else?
What box on the 1099-misc. is the $ amount in?

Reimbursement from a client.  Working as an independent contractor. $ are in Box 7.  One client sent 2 1099's - one for compensation and one for expenses.  Another client rolled them into one 1099.

Then, it is normal business income. Your show it as gross revenue on schedule C and then deduct the expenses. The net effect on your tax return should be zero unless expenses exceed reimbursement or vice versa.

Thanks. Then, to be clear, I pay self-employment tax (Social Security) only on the profit? Not on the gross Box 7 amount?

That's correct.

Thanks again