turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive social security for my son because his dad died do i need to claim that as income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I receive social security for my son because his dad died do i need to claim that as income

On the Form SSA-1099 for your son's Social Security benefits, the Beneficiary's Social Security Number in Box 2 at the top of the form should be your son's Social Security number.

You do not report your son's Social Security benefits on your own tax return. It's your son's income, even though it is paid to you. If your son files a tax return, he has to include his Social Security benefits on his return. If the Social Security is his only income, he is not required to file a tax return and his Social Security does not have to be reported anywhere.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

On the Form SSA-1099 for your son's Social Security benefits, the Beneficiary's Social Security Number in Box 2 at the top of the form should be your son's Social Security number.

You do not report your son's Social Security benefits on your own tax return. It's your son's income, even though it is paid to you. If your son files a tax return, he has to include his Social Security benefits on his return. If the Social Security is his only income, he is not required to file a tax return and his Social Security does not have to be reported anywhere.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies