Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cotu

I receive a pension from the state of Michigan. How do I know if this is SSA exempt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JimW1

I receive a pension from the state of Michigan. How do I know if this is SSA exempt?

Good question!

Here's a blurb from the Michigan government instructions that should address it:

"SSA exempt employment is not covered by the federal SSA, which means the worker did not pay Social Security taxes and is not eligible for Social Security benefits based on that employment. Almost all employment is covered by the federal SSA. The most common instances of retirement and pension benefits from employment that is not covered by Social Security are police and firefighter retirees, some federal retirees covered under the Civil Service Retirement System and hired prior to 1984, and a small number of other state and local government retirees. Federal retirees hired since 1984 and those covered by the Federal Employees’ Retirement System are covered under the SSA."

phil122

I need to amend 3 years of Michigan taxes because my tax guy did not give me the SSA exemption. How do I do this??

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To amend prior state tax returns, each prior year will need to be downloaded from your tax history and then opened in TurboTax CD/Download for the applicable year. You may need to purchase access to this if it was not previously purchased. 

Click this article for more details: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

Access MI-1040 and Form 4884 Instructions for each prior year at Michigan Taxes: Treasury Forms Information. The Tax Area is Individual Income Tax.

@phil122

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies