turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive a monthly check from my former employer because I retired early on disability. How do I answer when TT asks if I am covered by a retirement plan at work?

Because I am receiving a monthly check, I am covered by a retirement plan, but my former employer is not contributing new money to that plan. The amount I receive is taxable. I am below the minimum retirement age.  I want to contribute to my traditional ira. Distribution code on 1099-R is 3. The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is empty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I receive a monthly check from my former employer because I retired early on disability. How do I answer when TT asks if I am covered by a retirement plan at work?

Receipt of a disability pension is not the same as being "covered" by a retirement plan at work during the tax year. I see no reason why you cannot contribute to your traditional IRA, provided you have another source of earned income from which to draw the IRA contribution or, if married filing jointly, your spouse has earned income equal to your and your spouse's IRA contributions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Receipt of a disability pension is not the same as being "covered" by a retirement plan at work during the tax year. I see no reason why you cannot contribute to your traditional IRA, provided you have another source of earned income from which to draw the IRA contribution or, if married filing jointly, your spouse has earned income equal to your and your spouse's IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies