Solved: I purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires in 2016. All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires in 2016. All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

In 2016 I  purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires.   All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Used for personal travel around our community.  Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires in 2016. All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

No, golf carts do not qualify after the year 2009, because they do not meet the minimum definition of a 'motor vehicle.'

Motor Vehicle. The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle that is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4 wheels. For purposes of this notice, the term “motor vehicle” does not include a low-speed vehicle within the meaning of section 571.3 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a vehicle that is manufactured primarily for off-road use, such as primarily for use on a golf course.

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No, golf carts do not qualify after the year 2009, because they do not meet the minimum definition of a 'motor vehicle.'

Motor Vehicle. The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle that is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4 wheels. For purposes of this notice, the term “motor vehicle” does not include a low-speed vehicle within the meaning of section 571.3 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a vehicle that is manufactured primarily for off-road use, such as primarily for use on a golf course.

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

View solution in original post

Thank you very much for this information.

Of course!
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings