Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to enter my 401k , but do not have the form, and I have two days to file!

I don’t have the proper form, is there a way to enter this amount in TurboTax without the form?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I need to enter my 401k , but do not have the form, and I have two days to file!

No.   If you took money out of a 401k  in 2022 you need to enter the 1099R.   You should contact the bank or financial institution that administers the plan to get a copy of the 1099R.  It is likely that you can get it from their website.

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Contact your plan administrator and request a 1099-R form if you made distributions in 2022. You may also have access to your 1099-R form online on your plan administrator's website. Log into your account and look for Year end Forms.

If you still can't get a 1099-R form, create a Substitute Form 1099-R using form 4852:

1. In TurboTax, type 1099-R in the search bar and click on Jump to 1099-R.
  2. On the Who gave you a 1099-R screen, select Financial institution or other provider (1099-R) and Continue.
  3. On the Enter your 1099-R provider's info screen, enter the information and Continue
  4. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Do any of these situations apply to you? screen and select I need to file a substitute 1099-R and Continue
  5. Continue with the onscreen interview until complete. 

You may file an extension. File an extension by April 18, 2023 and have until October 16, 2023 to finish your taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies