I made an IRA deposit on April 15th, but the transfer was cancelled by the bank. Will I end up with a penalty once I amend my return?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lorriegirl

I made an IRA deposit on April 15th, but the transfer was cancelled by the bank. Will I end up with a penalty once I amend my return?

I opened an IRA account on April 15th attempting to transfer funds from my bank account.  I mistakenly used an account the bank had closed, and so the transfer was rejected.  I now need to file an amendment to remove the $3000 IRA contribution.  Will there be a penalty?  Any other ramifications?

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

Possibly.  If you owe tax when you amend, and it is after April 15, you may owe 0.5% penalty and 0.5% interest per month on the amount you owe.  For a $5000 IRA, you probably will owe $1250 in extra tax, so $26 penalty plus interest if you amend and pay before May 15, $52 if you amend after May 15 but before June 15, and so on.

You can also request a penalty waiver if this is your first time with a penalty, but the interest can't be waived by law.  Don't pay a penalty with your taxes when you amend even if Turbotax offers.  Wait to get billed.

Abatement https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings