turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made an IRA deposit on April 15th, but the transfer was cancelled by the bank. Will I end up with a penalty once I amend my return?

I opened an IRA account on April 15th attempting to transfer funds from my bank account.  I mistakenly used an account the bank had closed, and so the transfer was rejected.  I now need to file an amendment to remove the $3000 IRA contribution.  Will there be a penalty?  Any other ramifications?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I made an IRA deposit on April 15th, but the transfer was cancelled by the bank. Will I end up with a penalty once I amend my return?

Possibly.  If you owe tax when you amend, and it is after April 15, you may owe 0.5% penalty and 0.5% interest per month on the amount you owe.  For a $5000 IRA, you probably will owe $1250 in extra tax, so $26 penalty plus interest if you amend and pay before May 15, $52 if you amend after May 15 but before June 15, and so on.

You can also request a penalty waiver if this is your first time with a penalty, but the interest can't be waived by law.  Don't pay a penalty with your taxes when you amend even if Turbotax offers.  Wait to get billed.

Abatement https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies