Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to find on Turbo tax where I can post contribute to my 401k to reduce my tax obligation for 2022. Normally it asks before ending, but I didn't see it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm trying to find on Turbo tax where I can post contribute to my 401k to reduce my tax obligation for 2022. Normally it asks before ending, but I didn't see it.

Your 401(k) contribution to the employer provided tax deferred account are already reported on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of D.  They are not entered anywhere else on a tax return.

You only enter 401K contributions from your W2, nowhere else.  They have already been deducted from the wages in box 1 and you can't deduct them again.  You can only deduct Traditional IRA contributions.  

I didn’t have a 401k in 2022, but the IRS allows a post 2022 contribution before April 18th. Where is it on Turbo tax?

@jcooperhagemann wrote:

I didn’t have a 401k in 2022, but the IRS allows a post 2022 contribution before April 18th. Where is it on Turbo tax?

If you are an employee and have an employer provided 401(k) the contribution to the account are only made on a calendar year basis.  You cannot contribute to the 401(k) in 2023 and have that contribution reported on a 2022 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies