turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m trying to enter my partners unemployment information from his 1099 but I’m a bit confused what they’re asking me because the wording is different from the 1099 form

How do I know if it’s a 1099 for a state refund only
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BreaunnaL
Intuit Alumni

I’m trying to enter my partners unemployment information from his 1099 but I’m a bit confused what they’re asking me because the wording is different from the 1099 form

The most common use of the 1099-G is to report unemployment compensation as well as any state or local income tax refunds you received that year. If you received a 1099-G Form this year from a government agency, you may need to report some of the information it contains on your tax return.

Form 1099-MISC reports the total amount of payments you received from a company or an individual during the year. It includes your personal information, the payer’s information, and any federal or state withholdings. Different types of payment are found in different boxes.

One would get a 1099-G to report income received as unemployment or income from the state regarding a return usually, while a 1099-MISC is a way of paying income to a contractor.

Here's where to report your 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave.

If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, follow these instructions.

Unemployment compensation and paid family leave are entered in the same place:

1. Open your tax return. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the blue Take me to my return button.)
  2. Using the Search feature, enter unemployment compensation and perform the search. Then select the Jump to link, which is the first item in the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2018? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies