Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tommyc3po

I'm trying to apply the following: "as a Public Safety Officer (PSO) - you can exclude up to $3000 of your federal annuity income from federal taxes. any ideas for this?

My accountant was able to do this for me last year, but I'm trying to do this myself in Tubotax.  I thought the question came up, but I can't find it again and it doesn't look like it applied anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I'm trying to apply the following: "as a Public Safety Officer (PSO) - you can exclude up to $3000 of your federal annuity income from federal taxes. any ideas for this?

The question will come up after you have entered your Form 1099-R.  After you indicate that you are a retired PSO, then you must indicate the amount of your distribution that was used to pay for health insurance.  The exclusion of up to $3000 is based on the amount used to pay health insurance, it is not a general exclusion.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The question will come up after you have entered your Form 1099-R.  After you indicate that you are a retired PSO, then you must indicate the amount of your distribution that was used to pay for health insurance.  The exclusion of up to $3000 is based on the amount used to pay health insurance, it is not a general exclusion.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I qualify for the PSO $3000 deduction and I check the PSO box, does the software automatically reduce my gross amount or do I enter a $3000 less gross amount that is posted on my 1099-R?

Thank you.

Enter the 1099-R as printed ... let the program do the deduction for you. 

dmertz
Level 15

It's necessary to do as Critter-3 explained because when taking the (up to) $3,000 exemption TurboTax must place the "PSO" notation next to line 5b of Form 1040, otherwise the IRS will claim that you underreported your income.

Thank you Critter-3!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies