turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pat0123

A part of my IRA RMD was distributed to charity. How do I exclude that amount of the charitable contribution from my income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

A part of my IRA RMD was distributed to charity. How do I exclude that amount of the charitable contribution from my income?

I'm assuming your are referring to Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) and that you are over 70 and 1/2.

When form 1099-R is entered in Turbo Tax (the retirement section), please be sure that it is entered exactly as it appears on the form and that the IRA box is checked. This will trigger questions about QCD.   The software will ask if a portion or entire distribution was a QCD. Please complete the interview.

Finally, just as a note... if you claim the distribution as a QCD, please do not enter the amount as a charitable contribution in the Deduction and Credits section.  A QCD is not included in your taxable income and you can't deduct it again under charitable contributions. 

1099-R data entry:

1.      Federal Taxes

2.      Wages and Income

3.      Select Jump to Full list

4.       Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

5.      Select IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099-R)

cs12

I followed the directions and entered the partial amount; however, it looks like that information was ignored and it was treated as if the entire donation was a required distribution.

3GCLA

Ive entered the 1099R as income  but followed direction to designate as OCD donation but it still appears as income in the summary...is I being counted as income??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies