turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

20jojo21
Returning Member

I'm 61 self emp. sched C line 31 $ 15,000 pay $2200 self emp tax How much can i contribute to IRA & sep IRa. ? wife 63 no income, how much can she cont. to her ira ?

I am payed on 1099
What can i contribute to my IRA ?
                                                    SEP IRA (No employees)
What can wife (no income) cont. to her IRA ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I'm 61 self emp. sched C line 31 $ 15,000 pay $2200 self emp tax How much can i contribute to IRA & sep IRa. ? wife 63 no income, how much can she cont. to her ira ?

$2,200 is not the correct amount of SE tax for $15,000, so your numbers are inconsistent.  Either your net profit is more than $15,000 or your SE tax is less than $2,200.  Without an accurate number for your net profit, it's not possible to accurately calculate the maximum SEP contribution. or the total amount that you and your wife are eligible to contribute to regular IRAs.

If your net profit actually was $15,000, your SE tax would be $2,120 your net earnings would be ($15,000 - $2,120 / 2) = $13,940.  Your maximum SEP contribution would be 20% of $13,940  = $2,788.  The amount of compensation remaining to support regular traditional or Roth IRA contributions would be $13,940 - $2,788 = $11,152.  If you contribute the maximum $7,000 to your regular IRA, that would leave $4,152 that your wife could contribute to an IRA.

Of course the numbers will be a bit different based on your actual net profit.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

dmertz
Level 15

$2,200 is not the correct amount of SE tax for $15,000, so your numbers are inconsistent.  Either your net profit is more than $15,000 or your SE tax is less than $2,200.  Without an accurate number for your net profit, it's not possible to accurately calculate the maximum SEP contribution. or the total amount that you and your wife are eligible to contribute to regular IRAs.

If your net profit actually was $15,000, your SE tax would be $2,120 your net earnings would be ($15,000 - $2,120 / 2) = $13,940.  Your maximum SEP contribution would be 20% of $13,940  = $2,788.  The amount of compensation remaining to support regular traditional or Roth IRA contributions would be $13,940 - $2,788 = $11,152.  If you contribute the maximum $7,000 to your regular IRA, that would leave $4,152 that your wife could contribute to an IRA.

Of course the numbers will be a bit different based on your actual net profit.

20jojo21
Returning Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your answer confirms what I have researched. My numbers were not exact, but more of a ballpark. I have another question concerning depreciation on my car that I reported 2021. 

How it will effect 2022 return. Can I ask you directly or should I do it through the community. ?

It is very difficult to do in the community as I can only give so much information. And accounting is a 

foreign language to me. Thanks again for you help. Let me know....... Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

You should ask about depreciation separately rather than ask about it in the retirement section of this forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies