turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dfkent

I lived in VA in 2014, I rolled over my IRAs. I live in PA in 2016 and had to cash out the IRAs to pay bills. How do I figure the Basis of Retirement Income for PA?

PA code J

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I lived in VA in 2014, I rolled over my IRAs. I live in PA in 2016 and had to cash out the IRAs to pay bills. How do I figure the Basis of Retirement Income for PA?

The basis, with some rare exceptions, is independent of the state in which you lived.  Most people have zero basis in their IRA because they always took a tax deduction against their contributions.  However, if you filed form IRS form 8606 in the past, the most recent one will show your IRA basis.

The rare exceptions apply when IRAs first came into existence and not all states matched the federal government in the ability to take a tax deduction in the early years.  In that case, you might have a state basis even if you have no federal basis.  (My wife and I ran into this with California.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The basis, with some rare exceptions, is independent of the state in which you lived.  Most people have zero basis in their IRA because they always took a tax deduction against their contributions.  However, if you filed form IRS form 8606 in the past, the most recent one will show your IRA basis.

The rare exceptions apply when IRAs first came into existence and not all states matched the federal government in the ability to take a tax deduction in the early years.  In that case, you might have a state basis even if you have no federal basis.  (My wife and I ran into this with California.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies