Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am over 55. I work a W2 and 1099 job. Where do I enter a SEP contribution? It says I've gone over my contribution limited.

The 401K at the W2 job is less than $4K and the 1099 SEP contribution is less than $2,500. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I am over 55. I work a W2 and 1099 job. Where do I enter a SEP contribution? It says I've gone over my contribution limited.

Just enter "sep ira contributions" in the TT search box.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Did you have enough self employment profit to make a $2500 SEP contribution?

Income was $11k. It was recommended to deposit 11%.

Is $11,000 the PROFIT?  What is on Line 31 of Schedule C?

Who recommended to deposit 11%???

I have to check line 31. A Schwab professional.  Can anything over count for my W2 job? Or can it be counted in 2019? The deposit was made in March 2019.

11% of $11,000 is $1210, so why did you contribute $2500 (almost 23%)?

The maximum SEP is roughly 18.5% of your business profit.  So I have no idea why that person said 11%, as that seems completely random.

File an extension, and I *THINK* you can ask them to "remove excess contribution" (you can definitely do that today, before the April 15th due date, but I'm not quite sure if you can do that for a SEP after April 15th).
TomD8
Level 15

Just enter "sep ira contributions" in the TT search box.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

That did not work. I received the over comment

You don't enter it in the IRA contribution section.  It is in the Business Income & Deductions section under Self-Employed Retirement Plans.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I was pretty sure that's where I entered the amount.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies