Solved: I have a distribution from my Roth IRA entirely from my own contributions. It looks like the program is making it taxable? But it shouldn't be, right?

hodgesbm

I have a distribution from my Roth IRA entirely from my own contributions. It looks like the program is making it taxable? But it shouldn't be, right?

MinhT

If you have owned that Roth IRA for more than 5 years and distributions are less than your prior contributions, the distribution is not taxable. Make sure that you indicate that you owned the Roth IRA for more than 5 years. And also enter your prior contributions in the TurboTax interview (see attached screenshot).

You can then preview your 1040. To do this, click on Tax Tools in the left-hand column. On the Tax tools page, click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview 1040 in the left-hand column. You should find the amount of your distribution on line 15a. Taxable amount on line 15b should be 0.

MinhT

hodgesbm

Thank you!  I didn't know how to preview the 1040, and it does show line 15b as 0.  The wages/income page made me think it was taxable.  Thanks for the quick response!