turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hodgesbm

I have a distribution from my Roth IRA entirely from my own contributions. It looks like the program is making it taxable? But it shouldn't be, right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I have a distribution from my Roth IRA entirely from my own contributions. It looks like the program is making it taxable? But it shouldn't be, right?

If you have owned that Roth IRA for more than 5 years and distributions are less than your prior contributions, the distribution is not taxable. Make sure that you indicate that you owned the Roth IRA for more than 5 years. And also enter your prior contributions in the TurboTax interview (see attached screenshot).

You can then preview your 1040. To do this, click on Tax Tools in the left-hand column. On the Tax tools page, click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview 1040 in the left-hand column. You should find the amount of your distribution on line 15a. Taxable amount on line 15b should be 0.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you have owned that Roth IRA for more than 5 years and distributions are less than your prior contributions, the distribution is not taxable. Make sure that you indicate that you owned the Roth IRA for more than 5 years. And also enter your prior contributions in the TurboTax interview (see attached screenshot).

You can then preview your 1040. To do this, click on Tax Tools in the left-hand column. On the Tax tools page, click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview 1040 in the left-hand column. You should find the amount of your distribution on line 15a. Taxable amount on line 15b should be 0.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hodgesbm

Thank you!  I didn't know how to preview the 1040, and it does show line 15b as 0.  The wages/income page made me think it was taxable.  Thanks for the quick response!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies