turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099-R for a UK pension. Payer's ID has always been 99-999999, but this year you are saying that is invalid for electronic filing. So what do I put???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I have a 1099-R for a UK pension. Payer's ID has always been 99-999999, but this year you are saying that is invalid for electronic filing. So what do I put???

If you cannot efile with a blank payer-ID, then you should just report your foreign pension as Miscellaneous Income on line 21 of the 1040. The IRS wants you to report it, it is not an issue where it is reported as long as it is included with the rest of your income.

Please follow the instructions below to report your pension income on line 21:

• Click Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income and scroll down to Less Common Income
  • Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  • Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  • When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.

when entering as Miscellaneous Income, the taxes withheld at source (entered as foreign tax paid) did not get factored in.  I have tried for 3 years to get this functionality to work...you'd think that Turbo Tax would figure out that a lot of filers receive foreign pensions and FIX this.  I have only been able to paper file.

I tried to report my (German) pension based on Turbotax recommendations by, alternatively, a) filling out a 1099-R and b) reporting it in "Miscellaneous Income" under "Other Reportable Income" which was considered the better alternative recommended by Turbotax (since payer ID cannot be left blank - a   shortcoming of Turbotax) . While the result for "Federal Taxes" was identical in both alternatives, the effect on my New State Taxes was very negative in Alternative b). How can this be? Consequently, I prefer the 1099-R option and would require a  Default or Blank Payer ID to work on Turbotax. 

I have spent weeks researching this to finally get to submit and find out I need this number. Get on board Turbo tax or refund me my purchase price as I now have to go to an account as I am done !!!!!!!

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Try using 11-1111111 instead of the 99-9999999.  I have tried this and do not get an error.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies