turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099-nec appearing on my return but I did not receive one for 2020. I had no self employment for 2020. How can I delete this from my tax forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099-nec appearing on my return but I did not receive one for 2020. I had no self employment for 2020. How can I delete this from my tax forms?

Did you have a 1099-MISC for any reason in 2019. Especially one with nonemployee compensation in box 7?

I wonder if TurboTax converted this to a 1099-NEC (the form that this kind of 1099-MISC changed to for 2020) and carried it over (without the dollar amounts), to remind you to look for this form on the assumption that you would get the same form in 2020.

If so, try this:

*** Desktop***

1. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form (1099-NEC). Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

1. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

2. delete the 1099-NEC.

If this doesn't work for you, come back and tell us.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax transfers from prior-year return to current years' quite a bit of information.  One thing that transfers is sources of income.

So this is a "ghost" form that you no longer need.  You probably also have a Schedule C for this income that needs to be properly disposed of.  See the information I'm linking below that should take care of this issue for you.  Please post back if you continue to have difficulty.

How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies