turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pyedogroy

I have a 1099-DIV that has an amount in line 2a. There is nothing in 2b 2c or 2 d. 2a ia identified as Total Capital Gains distributions. What is that amount?

No more information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamiaI
Employee Tax Expert

I have a 1099-DIV that has an amount in line 2a. There is nothing in 2b 2c or 2 d. 2a ia identified as Total Capital Gains distributions. What is that amount?

The amount in line 2 a is capital gain distribution. Capital gains taxes are calculated using an alternative method instead of the normal tax tables. So, if you have capital gains or qualified dividends, your calculated tax will be different than the tax on the IRS tax tables for ordinary income.If you have capital gains from other investment sales in addition to your 1099-DIV, we'll also take those into account when calculating your capital gains tax.

To enter your dividends reported to you on a 1099-DIV in TurboTax Desktop, once inside the return, enter 1099 div in the search box. Click on Jump to 1099 div link. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter the amount in Box 2a.  See screenshot below. 

I'm trying to figure out how to enter lines 2a, 5, and 7 from my 1099 Div. 

I don't see the screenshot referenced in this response.   

Just enter in those boxes on the form.  Check the box that says "My form has more than these boxes".

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies