Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had two jobs in 2020. How do I update "schedule 3"? How do I ensure that I receive a credit for the overpayment per social security wage base limit?

I am not a railroad employee.  Just a single mom who had two jobs and overpaid social security taxes.  I am supposed to be able to claim this on Schedule 3 but can't figure out how to in the TurboTax Premier Package.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I had two jobs in 2020. How do I update "schedule 3"? How do I ensure that I receive a credit for the overpayment per social security wage base limit?

TurboTax will pick up the excess social security paid from your entries on your Forms W-2.  If you have entered those, the credit will be applied on Line 10 of Schedule 3 for you automatically. 

In the online version of TurboTax you won't be able to view that schedule until later in the process when you are ready to file (after payment) when you review your full tax return but the number is also incorporated on Line 31 of 1040, which you can preview before you file (though other credits could be mixed in here as well).  

To preview your Form 1040, select Tax Tools on the left side of the screen from anywhere in your return and then follow these steps:

1. Click on Tools.
  2. In the box that pops up in the center screen, select View Tax Summary.
  3. In the new menu that appears on the left, select Preview my 1040
  4. Use the scroll bar on the right side of the form itself to view both pages of Form 1040 and Schedule 1
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, Susan... I am aware that this is what is supposed to happen and how it is supposed to work.  It is not working.  When I preview, I see nothing and the amount of tax I owed is unchanged when it should be much lower if the overage was included as a credit.  I can't continue (or pay) until this is resolved.  There are other comments about this and a user posted instructions for "Railroad Compensation" but I don't have that.  I just have two regular jobs and one of them took out way too much for social security.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the combined total between the two employers is what caused an excess amount of Social Security tax to be withheld, then it is automatically refunded to you on Schedule 3 Line 10. 

But, if the situation is that a single employer withheld more than they were supposed to withhold (more than 6.2% of the amount shown in your W-2 box 3), then that is a different situation and it will not be handled automatically as part of your tax return.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more details about what to do next by clicking the blue Single Employer link.

Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

@s3xiibackk

TK421451
Returning Member

I have the same issue. I had two jobs with separate W-2. Turbo Tax Premiere desktop adds the amount of SS tax withheld from two separate employers and attributes it all to one employer and says I must seek a refund from that employer (the second W-2 entered, not sure why it picked that one). When I enter the same data into the online version - it says, no problem, we'll add that to your refund. So there is a programming error within TT Desktop. Please have your developers fix this.

Thank you.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I was able to post two different employers in the desktop version of TurboTax, and it did properly post the excess Social Security to Schedule 3 Line 11.  It also carried forward to the 1040 line 31.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies