minnerup14

I got a message saying my employer took to much social security out of my checks what does that mean?

SherekaB

Go back and make sure everything you entered matches your W-2.
    1. Select Federal Taxes (Personal in Home & business edition) 
    2. Select Wages & Income, and in the new screen, choose I'll Choose What I Work On
    3. Scroll down to the Your Income Summary screen until you see the Wages & salaries, and click the Update button.

Your employer is supposed to withhold 6.2% of your Social Security Wages (the Box 3 amount on your W-2), up to a maximum of $7,347 per taxpayer for tax year 2016.

If one employer withheld too much Social Security tax, you won't be able to take a credit for the excess on your tax return.

(TurboTax determines this by looking at your employer's EIN. In unusual cases where the employer changed their EIN during the tax year, an excess withholding credit can be taken as explained in "Multiple employers," above.)

So, if your employer withheld too much, contact them and ask for:

1. A refund for the excess amount, and
    2. A corrected W-2 (also called a W-2c) which shows the correct Box 3 and Box 4 amounts.