Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yzoldowl

I filed an extension because my husband died last May. I have not gotten his 1099-R. How shall I proceed when I get that 1099-R?

From January 1st, 2018 through May 16th, 2018, my husband was confined to hospital and nursing homes.  Did his legal address remain here at our home?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I filed an extension because my husband died last May. I have not gotten his 1099-R. How shall I proceed when I get that 1099-R?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, your husband's legal address remained at your home.  File your 2019 return as "married filing jointly" and note that your husband is deceased in the Personal Info section..

For 2020, you will use the Single filing status.  [If you still have dependents, you could file as Qualifying Widow.]

[Edited | 4/14/2020 |  12:09am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, your husband's legal address remained at your home.  File your 2019 return as "married filing jointly" and note that your husband is deceased in the Personal Info section..

For 2020, you will use the Single filing status.  [If you still have dependents, you could file as Qualifying Widow.]

[Edited | 4/14/2020 |  12:09am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

do not wait to see if you'll get the 1099-r because you should have gotten it months ago.  call the institution to find out what is going on.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies