Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I dont have an IRA yet it will not let me get by without putting in an IRA contribution

I have a 401k, but not an IRA. If I uncheck the box it does not save. Does anyone know how to backtrack somehow?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I dont have an IRA yet it will not let me get by without putting in an IRA contribution

What happens when you check None of the above?

It goes to the next screen. Seemingly checking none of the above works, but then if I go back to that same screen, Traditional IRA is checked off again. 

If I click none of the above again, and go to file taxes, it says I have one item to review. Over and over again.

See if there is a Form 8606 listed in your tax return, if so delete the form

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

If there is no form then it would be best to clear the return and start over.  Then make sure you do Not indicate you have any type of retirement account.  The 401(k) contributions are only reported on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of D, nowhere else on the return.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

This seems like it would work. Alas, I already paid to file my taxes. I thought I had finished everything on my first go around and already went ahead and paid. Now it will not let me clear and start over. 

I wonder if I am going to have to file them by mail. 

@michaelpaulhanso wrote:

This seems like it would work. Alas, I already paid to file my taxes. I thought I had finished everything on my first go around and already went ahead and paid. Now it will not let me clear and start over. 

I wonder if I am going to have to file them by mail. 

If your tax return cannot be e-filed then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a tax return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies