Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

I had my 401K from a company I was with for 6 months paid out when I left. But it is saying I do not have a tax form.
5 Replies
Level 15

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

Contact the company as they should have issued you a 1099R.

If they won't you will need to do a substitute 1099R and enter that in TurboTax for the amount they sent you.

You will go to the 1099R area and enter a substitute 1099R.

I have put two pictures below on how to get started on the 1099R entry. This will capture the loan amount, and you may have to get the EIN off a prior W-2 from the company. 

 To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

  • Click on Federal Taxes 
  • Click on Wages and Income 
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button
New Member

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

Employee Tax Expert

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

In 2019, did you receive a partial or total distribution of 401K funds?


If so, you should receive a 1099-R reporting the distribution, taxable income, taxes withheld and other important tax coding.


This information is reported to the IRS just like a W-2.  Please contact the company to make sure that you receive this form.


See this help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

how do i get a 1099r


Expert Alumni

I don't have a tax form from my 401K?

Contact the administrator of the retirement account (or pension plan) and request your 1099-R.


If you have received distributions (or payments) from a retirement account (or pension plan), then the administrator of the retirement account (or pension plan) is responsible for filing a Form 1099-R with the IRS to report those payments.


The deadline for sending you a copy of the 1099-R was February 1, 2021.


If you are unable to obtain a copy of your 1099-R, use your records to prepare a Substitute Form 1099-R and a Form 4852 to report the income.


You can enter your retirement distribution (or pension payments) as a substitute form 1099-R:·         

  1. Click the  Federal Taxes tab at the top. 

  2. Select  Wages and Income

  3. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security section (Use Jump to Full List, if the entire list isn't displayed.) 

  4. Select  IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans Withdrawals (1099-R).  (See attached screenshot.) 

  5. On the screen “Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have”, there is a box “I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R”. Click on that box and continue.



Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings