Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdl241

Do I report interest earned from 3 Certificates of Deposits? I have not taken any money out of these CDs. They mature and I let them roll back over

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I report interest earned from 3 Certificates of Deposits? I have not taken any money out of these CDs. They mature and I let them roll back over

You used  the term interest "earned", but was the interest credited and paid in 2018?   Your bank should have given you a 1099-INT if they actually paid interest into the CDs in 2018.  It might be considered paid even though you choose to have it accumulate with the CD and didn't withdraw the credited interest.   If you didn't receive a 1099-INT, you may have to ask your bank if it's not clear whether you actually received "credited and paid interest" or not.
cdl241

I checked with the bank and they stated that none of the 3 CDs made $10.00 or more, so thats why I didnt get a 1099 for them.  Also stated that I didnt have to report the interest earned.  Its only $15.00 for the three combined

This answer assumes you are otherwise required to file a return.  You didn't specifically say, but I assume you are preparing a return for other reasons.

If the interest is considered "credited and paid" (even if not withdrawn), then all income is reportable even if you don't receive a 1099-INT due to it being less than $10.  If that's your situation, you can enter the few dollars of interest without a 1099-INT by entering it in the Box 1 field on the Interest Income screen in the 1099-INT interview topic.

@cdl241
I added another couple of sentences above, that his answer assumes you are otherwise required to file a return.  You didn't specifically say, but I assume you are preparing a return because you need to for other reasons.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies