Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cashed out my 401k upon termination of employment, do I have to file this is on my taxes?

I cashed out my 401K when I left my old job, I paid an early penalty fee and I just need to know if the IRS will consider it income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I cashed out my 401k upon termination of employment, do I have to file this is on my taxes?

Yes you have to report it and it is income.  You didn't actually pay the tax or 10% penalty (you pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under 59 ½).  You had taxes withheld like from your paycheck. You still have to enter the whole amount (before taxes were withheld) with your other income to figure out the total tax (and it may put you into a higher tax bracket)  and then the withholding is subtracted from the total tax to figure your refund or tax due.  The withholding will show up on 1040 line 64 (2013 line 62) or 1040A line 36.   The 10% penalty is on 1040 line 59 (2013 line 58).

You can just type 1099R into the search box at the top of your return, then find and it will give you a Jump To link to go right to it.

OR
Enter a 1099R under
Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or I'll choose what I work on,

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,
Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Update

Pick the right kind of 1099R you have and on the same screen be sure to pick which person it is for if you are filing a Joint return.

After you enter the 1099R be sure to answer all the follow up questions on the next screens to determine how much is taxable or not. Go all the way to the end of the section. You have to enter it from the 1099R because there are codes on it you need to enter properly.
Samnz619

So at my last job I didn’t work there for long and only had $12 on my 401k my old company sent me a check of that amount so I cashed it I’m 24 am I supposed to file that on my taxes?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is considered a distribution so you should report it.  You should receive a copy of Form 1099-R, or some variation, if you received a distribution of $10 or more from your retirement plan so follow up with your job if you did not receive one.

See the steps below on how to enter your distribution:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account.
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen.
  3. Scroll down to "Retirement Plans and Social Security" and click "Show more"
  4. Scroll down and click "Start or Edit/Add" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)

@Samnz619 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies