Solved: I am retired do some work under W9. I bought HOME & BUSINESS. Now it takes me into starting a business and applying for an EIN. Am I on the right track?

I am retired do some work under W9. I bought HOME & BUSINESS. Now it takes me into starting a business and applying for an EIN. Am I on the right track?

My wife and I are retired engineers, filing jointly.

I do some work for a company under W9.

I bought Turbotax "Home & Business", and started using it. From the very beginning, I stumbled on the request to ask IRS for EIN. This makes me think I am not doingthge right thing.

PLEASE, HELP!

You may have accidentally clicked on or hovered your cursor over a link to request an EIN from the IRS.  Unless you pay people to work for you, you don't need and EIN  and can prepare a Schedule C for self-employment in your personal return.

If you have a Home Office, be sure to go through this section of TurboTax.  

Here are some tips for self-employment you may find helpful.