Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlsherm67

I am reimbursed by my former employer for my Medicare Part B premiums that are deducted from my social security payment. Do I report this and if so where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
csspaw
Returning Member

I am reimbursed by my former employer for my Medicare Part B premiums that are deducted from my social security payment. Do I report this and if so where?

I am not sure the answer fits the question. The question is not about deducting premiums or out of pocket expenses paid.  It is about receiving money from the employer.  Nor is an HRA involved.

You do not report the payments under a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) provided by your employer since you cannot deduct any medical expenses including Medicare premiums that are being reimbursed.  You can only deduct medical expenses that you paid with out of pocket funds and were not reimbursed.

When entering your SSA-1099 in the TurboTax program and you have Medicare premiums included on the SSA-1099, do not enter those premiums into the program which were paid by the HRA.

To enter your Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button
kf768

As a retiree, my former employer REIMBURSES  me the monthly Medicare amount taken from my Soc Sec income and it is added in my pension check monthly.

I am paying income tax on the Medicare reimbursement in my check however,

On the SS worksheet for the 1040,  we are told to use the total  SocSec paid in 2020  which is the total monthly benefit BEFORE Medicaire is deducted.  Therefore, I have been paying taxes on my pension which includes Medicare reimbursement AND paying taxes on amount received from social security for the year.

I am paying twice...We should be able to use social security income total AFTER Medicare premiums were deducted, not pay for the twice

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are being only taxed on your Net Social Security Income (Box 5 on 1099-SSA).  You may not be taxed at all on your Social Security, or only partly, depending on your other income. 

In TurboTax, you enter your Medicare Premiums amount, which are automatically moved to Medical Expenses, in the event you file using Itemized Deductions

You are only being taxed on the Medicare Premiums reimbursement included in your pension income. 

Click this link for info on How to Report Social Security on 1099-SSA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kf768

Marilyn

I just received your response (below) to my original question...however, On the Soc Security worksheet to determine how much of soc sec income will be taxable you MUST enter the total benefits received on the sheet to do the computations---from box 5 on Soc Sec 1099 THIS AMOUNT is before premiums are deducted.  2020 Medicare premiums were $144.13 per month ($1729.10 annual)....that should be subtracted from total Soc Sec benefits received before doing the computations for the amount of taxable social security benefits???? That is what makes sense to me....Medicare reimbursement is added into monthly pension so I'm already being taxed on the reinmbursement in my total pension for 2020

Re: SOCIAL SECURITY INCOME CLAIM OMN 1040

You are being only taxed on your Net Social Security Income (Box 5 on 1099-SSA).  You may not be taxed at all on your Social Security, or only partly, depending on your other income. 

In TurboTax, you enter your Medicare Premiums amount, which are automatically moved to Medical Expenses, in the event you file using Itemized Deductions. 

You are only being taxed on the Medicare Premiums reimbursement included in your pension income. 

eceived your response to my question

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

What you say is correct; however, since half of your Social Security amount is subtracted before calculating taxable benefits on the worksheet, I imagine they think this makes up for not directly subtracting your Medicare premiums.

You could consider that the half you are subtracting makes up for the extra pension income you are reporting.

On researching, it seems many employers issue a check separately for the reimbursed premiums; this is then deducted from Medical Expenses claimed, so if they file using the Standard Deduction, it is non-taxable income. 

I'm retired, my previous employer sends me a checkfor Part D and Part 
B premium  reimbursement once per year.  I'm not sure where to enter this information, the State form does not have coordinated identifier (1099-s) for my tax forms. Do you have any advice? 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Probably nothing needed.  Medicare part B and D premiums are carried to your medical expenses for itemized deduction.  If you take the standard deduction, then you are not gaining a deduction so no need to include the reimbursement.  If you are itemizing your deductions and are able to take a Medical expenses deduction on Sch A, then you would need to decrease your Medical deduction by the amount of the reimbursement.   Some states allow an adjustment to income for health insurance premiums paid.  If your state allows this, then you would need to decrease the amount of the health premiums deduction by the amount of the Part B and D reimbursement.

arbalee

I am reimbursed for medicare through employer on my monthly check how do I deduct this so I am not being taxed twice

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

When entering your SSA-1099 in the TurboTax program and you have Medicare premiums included on the SSA-1099, do not enter those premiums into the program which were paid by the Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA).

To enter your Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business) or Income & Expenses (TurboTax online)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (TurboTax Home and Business)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

@arbalee

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies