Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tvin

I am getting an error message that qualified coop payments should not be more than total gross receipts. However, my qualified coop payments are zero. What can I do?

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but my workaround was to input the same amount as my "Other income from Schedule 1, line 9" into the inputs for the qualified coop payments and continue as normal.  I checked the .pdf's before I transmitted my tax returns and it actually left my qualified coop payments as $0, as it should have been.

Good luck!  I was going bananas, too.

I am getting an error message that qualified coop payments should not be more than total gross receipts. However, my qualified coop payments are zero. What can I do?

I just put it right on the form

So what I did, although this makes no sense at all, is put a Net Loss in the "Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet"  Line K 1 that was greater than my business loss.  Then in the pop up box (Supporting Details) associated with that line I put in the description what I did and why I did it.  Since this is a worksheet it seemed to be a work around and cleared the error.

So for my disclaimer, since people are now posting these.  This is not real tax advice and I am not a qualified tax consultant or tax professional.  If you follow my advice you do this at your own risk.

Sayreko, your solution worked for us. We selected "No" on the Schedule C top line and it made the nagging request for input go away. Arigato!

So I had the same issue.  I had paid for "live support" and got a real CPA to help me through it.  I thought it was a software issue, but it turned out to be a real tax effort.  The new tax code does not recognize "negative" sales.  I was taking an $8,500 loss on a contract that former client skipped out on... and was showing it as a loss in income.  She had me put it in "misc. expenses" as a positive number.  The error went away.  She also said showing it as an expense, rather than a "negative sale" is less likely to draw attention.

stlance06

Unfortunately your answer totally ignores the problem. Not happy with this stupid TT loop.

Yes this worked... Thanks!!

keigenman

am getting an error message that qualified coop payments should not be more than total gross receipts. However, my qualified coop payments are zero. What can I do?

Note. Misc. expenses are located on Schedule C Worksheets. Section is called Miscellaneous Expenses. Description as I put it  "Business loss".

At the same time I removed negative income from "other income"  section.

I am not a tax professional in any way.

This solution worked for me

I have to say based on everything I've read on this, it is a bug in Turbotax. I had to enter a number less than my total loss from "other income" on schedule C.  Once I entered this, it reflected a zero on my QBI Deduction form under the Coop section.  I did notice that once I enter a number like this in the worksheet, it changes my 8995 to an 8995-A form which is the more detailed form. Since there is a question for a business that received 1099-PATR which would trigger this (and mine is unchecked) I think that would be the trigger.

Hey Turbotax, if you're listening, I think this is a bug.

tbab94

Was having the same issues. I had to remove the negative income and treat is as Income in box 1 and enter a value for the allowance for returns in box 2. This did subsequently bring up the question about another form where I had to answer a few questions but once completed, where I reran the error check the error message went away. Never seen this before in previous versions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies