trinaperez1964

I am filing married and jointly. I am the only one working and my husband is receiving social security. How do I file the amount that he has received?

JotikaT2

Your husband will receive Form SSA-1099.

Once you receive this form, you will enter the information under the Federal section of the program:

1. Select "Income & Expenses"
  2. Select "Retirement Plans and Social Security" (select see more income if you do not see this option.)
  3. Select "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  4. Proceed to answer the questions.  Make sure you select Form SSA-1099 when prompted

TurboTax will automatically calculate if any of your husband's social security benefits are taxable based upon the information entered into your return.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0