turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b6384p9hi

I am entering taxable pension income and Turbo Tax is saying it was non taxable income. How do I get it to accept the pension income as taxable income??????????

This is my husband's pension.  It is and always has been taxable income.  He has been collecting it for over ten years.  He received two 1099-Rs for it this year. (One for 11 mos in WA state and one for 1 month in WI.) I entered the info into Turbo Tax from each of the 1099Rs just as it was on the forms.  Of note box 2a was empty and 2b was checked.   I answered all of the questions that I could.  He does not know what the Annuity starting date was or his age when it started.  At the end of the section, Turbo Tax determined it was nontaxable income.  IT IS TAXABLE INCOME111   I did not have any difficulty with his other pension from another source or with mine.  I can't finish our taxes until this is corrected.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
obxdiva

I am entering taxable pension income and Turbo Tax is saying it was non taxable income. How do I get it to accept the pension income as taxable income??????????

I would enter the taxable income in 2a even though it is blank.  It could be that since he only had one month in one state that the amount was too low for that state to consider it taxable.  This is just a suggestion but if I was certain that it's taxable, I would enter 2a to force TTax to count that income.  Can't imagine that the IRS would complain if your 1099's in your return reports MORE not less taxable income than the states reported. Good luck!
Anita01

I believe you answered a question that was asked about whether the taxable amount in Box 2a was correct.  Since that was blank, you said No, so the program began trying to calculate the taxable amount for you.  If you know the taxable amount is the same as the gross amount just enter it in 2a and don't check taxable not determined.  Also, double check that, when you started, you selected the correct type of 1099-r.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies