turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmhero817

I am being asked to correct my 1040 form and fill in line 10b - but 10a already has my charitable contrib. I don't know what to enter in line 10b? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I am being asked to correct my 1040 form and fill in line 10b - but 10a already has my charitable contrib. I don't know what to enter in line 10b? Thanks!

Line 10b shows Charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction. Line 10a of Form 1040 shows Form Schedule 1, line 22 Adjustments to income.

This year you can claim $300 as an adjustment to income (line 10b) if you made a cash contributions to a charitable organization, even when you are claiming the Standard Deduction.

Please follow these steps to enter the charitable cash contribution for 10b :

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  4. Scroll all the way down and click the "Wrap up tax breaks" button
  5. Continue until the "Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act" screen
  6. Enter your charitable cash contributions.

To verify your entry:

1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KUBICKA

RESPONSE WAS  GO TO WRAP UP TAX BREAKS .  WENT DOWN THE LIST OF DEDUCTIONS AND CAN NOT FIND WRAP UO

If you're using TurboTax online, the contribution must first be dealt with entered on the Schedule A contribution worksheet.  It won't work through the 1040 worksheet, even though you need to get the cash onto line 10b of the 1040, and even if you are not going to itemize.  Here's what to do:

1. On the Deduction and Credits tab, search for Charitable Contributions.  
  2. Search for charitable contributions and click on Jump to charitable contributions.
  3. When prompted, tell TurboTax that the contribution was cash/money. 

When you follow these steps, TurboTax should automatically assume that you are taking the standard deduction instead of itemizing. Then it will ask you to enter the cash amount of the contribution, which is 1040 line 10b.

From the IRS instructions:

Line 10b

If you don't itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you and your spouse if filing jointly) may be able to take a charitable deduction for cash contributions made in 2020.

@KUBICKA

tim132

I have read the tips and it says to scroll down to the "wrap up tax breaks" button. I do not see this option? This supposedly leads to an option for "charitable cash contributions under the cares act". I am using the standard deduction and want to claim the allowable $300 cash deduction to charitys.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The "wrap up tax breaks" button does not appear in some versions of the software. To enter this above-the-line contribution, there are two steps:

1. Enter a CASH contribution in charitable contributions, and

2. In the Final Review, once TurboTax knows that you are using the Standard Deduction and have cash contributions, you will be asked what to include in line 10b (1040).

For 2020, Congress has changed tax law to permit the deduction of certain charitable contributions “above the line”, even if the taxpayer is taking the Standard Deduction otherwise. The new deduction will appear on line 10b on the 1040.

There are restrictions: the contribution must be in cash or cash-equivalent and it cannot exceed $300 for most filing statuses (exception: $150 for Married Filing Separate).

To enter this deduction, you must enter the charitable contributions as if you were going to itemize these contributions (do a Search (upper right) for charitable contributions and click on the jump-to result). Be sure to indicate that the contribution was “Money” or else TurboTax will not ask about it later.

Note that you do not need to enter any other charitable contributions if you are not planning to itemize.

Then, in the Federal Review at the end of your data entry, TurboTax will realize that you are taking the Standard Deduction and ask you to enter the amount of the charitable contribution that was in cash. Note the limits described above ($300 or $150); in the desktop product, at least, if you enter an amount larger than this, you will be asked to reduce it to the limit when you enter the amount.

When you enter the cash-based charitable contribution this way, the result will appear on line 10b on the 1040 as an above-the-line deduction.

This did not work for me.  My actual cash charitable contributions were $265.  I had another $1000 worth  of items donated.  The program also does not recognize that I paid for audit defense even though I received a confirmation email.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@tandreasen the program should be asking you about the charity, you would enter $300 if you are taking the standard deduction. $300 is the maximum allowed with the standard deduction.

If you paid for audit defense outside of the program, it would not know. If you paid for it along with your tax preparation, it should know. Just keep your email, that is all you need.

Oberlin7

Is this fixed yet? I am still having issues. The only solution is to file by mail. I don't pay for turbo tax so I have to file by mail. Please help, very upset!! Thank you.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No.  The issue still exists.  TurboTax cannot just re-program our software without collaborating with the IRS.  TurboTax has to wait for the IRS to finalize forms so that we can program our software.  I suggest you hold on until the software is updated.  There are lots of outstanding issues this year due to the CARES Act.  IRS has experienced delays in processing and developing new software, however everything will be corrected prior to Tax season end.  The tax filing season may be extended again due to all of the required updates.

gfran2020

there is no line 10a or 10b on my 1040 , or Sch A , or worksheet . Where can I enter the $300 deduction ?  in TurboTax Deluxe 2022 desktop version. 

gfran2020

what about the desktop version of TurboTax ? 

Sorry the extra $300/600 charity deduction you got in addition to the Standard Deduction is no more.  That was only for the last 2 years.  That is not continued.  A lot of the extra Covid credits and rules have gone away.   Now  you only can get the Charity deduction on Schedule A if you itemize all your deductions and don't take the Standard Deduction.  

For 2022 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,950 + 1,750 for 65 and over or blind (14,700)

HOH 19,400 + 1,750 for 65 and over or blind (21,150)

Joint 25,900 + 1,400 for each 65 and over or blind (27,300/28,700)

Married filing Separate 12,950 + 1,400 for 65 and over or blind (14,350)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies