turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmheld

My income from the Office of Personnel Management is a Survivor Annuity. Why are you asking me if it was a required withdrawal? It is not a retirement account!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My income from the Office of Personnel Management is a Survivor Annuity. Why are you asking me if it was a required withdrawal? It is not a retirement account!

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions. All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the annuity plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  You may simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

NOTE: You are not asking about this, but I'd like to mention this just in case...TurboTax has a separate entry for the OPM, please be sure to enter our form in the right section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down and select IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans. On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R you Have please be sure to select  CSA -1099-R Civil Service annuity. Select Continue and you will see automatically filled in information on OPM. Select Continue again and you will see Enter Annuity Information screen. You will be prompted to data entry and additional questions about your annuity. Please be sure to enter all information – including your contributions- exactly as it appears on the form. This will ensure proper calculation of the taxable amount.
pj56

I'm a surviving spouse, under the age of 70 1/2, not sure how to calculate the taxable amount in box 2a (taxable amount is Unknown).  Also, box 9b is Unknown for total employee contribution.

Thanks.

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Your income from the Survivor Annuity is considered retirement income because it is reported on form 1099-R.  The reason why the program is asking if it was a required withdrawal is because usually distributions from survivor distributions can be spread over time but beneficiaries must make required withdrawals depending on the relationship they had with the account holder.   

On TurboTax you should answer YES to this question, and the program will continue guiding you as you enter the rest of the required information.  

For more information visit the IRS page Required Minimum Distributions for IRA Beneficiaries.

@tmheld 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies