turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smokin39

I am 61 not retired yet but want to take money out of my 401K without borrowing it, what are my tax liabilities?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am 61 not retired yet but want to take money out of my 401K without borrowing it, what are my tax liabilities?

You will pay ordinary income tax on the distribution.   You are not subject to an early withdrawal penalty at your age.  In January you will receive a 1099R for the distribution, which you will enter on your tax return.  The income will be taxed as part of your other taxable income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Is this a plan with your current employer?  Check first to see if they will even allow you to take anything out.

You will pay ordinary income tax on the distribution.   You are not subject to an early withdrawal penalty at your age.  In January you will receive a 1099R for the distribution, which you will enter on your tax return.  The income will be taxed as part of your other taxable income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Depending upon the amount, you may wish to have taxes withheld from the distribution, or make Federal and/or State  estimated tax payments if appropriate.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies