How To enter Pension and SS after I retired and li...

its0060

How To enter Pension and SS after I retired and living in New Jersey

How To enter my Pension and SS after I retired and living in New Jersey(with my wife) and my wife income is from New Your. I want to file jointly.

The option ask if your income was from a state other than the resident state. As of 2019, we both worked in NY and this was an easy response; but now she still works in NY but I am retired and receiving my pension and SS in NJ.  

ToddL99

Retirement income is considered as coming from the state where you live, not from the state where you earned the retirement or from the state where the check is coming from.

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former California employer and you now reside in New Mexico, California may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a New Mexico resident, your retirement income is taxable in New Mexico.  

its0060

Thank you very much ToddL99. It means I cannot file married jointly because our income if from both NY and NJ.  I may have to file Married filing Separately.